Associate Professor (Professor Agregat)
Computer Architecture Department
D6-204 (Campus Nord)
Jordi Girona, 1-3
Tel: +34 934016824
Fax: +34 934017055
E-mail: pbarlet AT ac.upc.edu
PGP/GPG key: 2EC22241
Pere Barlet-Ros received the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) in 2003 and 2008, respectively. He is currently an associate professor with the Computer Architecture Department of the UPC and scientific director at the Barcelona Neural Networking Center (BNN-UPC). From 2013 to 2018, he was co-founder and chairman of the machine learning startup Talaia Networks. The company was acquired by Auvik Networks in 2018. Previously, he was also a visiting researcher at Endace (New Zealand), Intel Research Cambridge (UK) and Intel Labs Berkeley (USA). For the last 10 years, his research has focused on the development of novel machine learning technologies for network management and optimization, traffic classification and network security, which have been integrated in several open-source and commercial products, including Talaia, Auvik TrafficInsights, Intel CoMo and SMARTxAC. In 2014, he received the 2nd VALORTEC prize for the best business plan awarded by the Catalan Government (ACCIO) and in 2015 the Fiber Entrepreneurs award as the best entrepreneur of the Barcelona School of Informatics (FIB). He has also been the Principal Investigator of 7 competitive research projects and advised 6 Ph.D. theses in the fields of network monitoring and machine learning.
Projects and activities related to network measurements:
- SDN-Polygraph-2: Cloud-based Monitoring Service for Software Defined Networks (H2020 - SME instrument phase 2, ref. 726763, 2016).
- SHIELD: Securing against intruders and other threats through a NFV-enabled environment (H2020 - DS-04-2015, ref. 700199, 2016-2018).
- SUNSET-B: Sustainable network infrastructure enabling the future digital society (MINECO, TEC2014-59583-C2-2-R, 2015-2017).
- NOMADS: A novel paradigm for network monitoring and data sharing (MINECO, TEC2011-27474, 2011-2015).
- SDN-Polygraph-1: Cloud-based Visibility Service for Software Defined Networks (H2020 - SME instrument phase 1, ref. 673922, 2015).
- POLYTEST: Experimentation with Network Polygraph in the Fed4FIRE testbed (Fed4FIRE-SME-3, 2015).
- METRA: Efficient measurement of advanced networks (INNPACTO, IPT-2011-1079-370000, 2011-2013).
- SMARTxAC: Traffic monitoring and analysis system for the Catalan RREN (CESCA, 2004-2014).
- TMA: Traffic monitoring and analysis (COST action, IC0703, 2008-2012).
- CoMo: Continuous monitoring (2004-2009).
- CoMo-UPC: TMA evaluation service at UPC (2009).
- SHENESYS: Load shedding in network monitoring applications (Intel Research Grant, 2005-2008).
- TMA Steering Committee member (2015-present)
- President Board of Directors Talaia Networks, S.L. (2014-2018)
- General and TPC co-chair TMA 2015 (Barcelona, April 22-23, 2015)
- Local organizer 5th PhD School on Traffic Monitoring and Analysis (Barcelona, April 21-22, 2015)
- TPC member IEEE Global Internet Symposium (GI, 2018)
- TPC member IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conf. (I2MTC, 2018)
- TPC member IEEE/IFIP Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conf. (TMA, 2010-2017)
- TPC member IEEE International Workshop on Measurements and Networking (M&N, 2015, 2017, 2019)
- TPC member ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Big Data Analytics and Machine Learning for Data Communication Networks (Big-DAMA, 2017)
- TPC member Intl. Workshop on Traffic Analysis and Characterization (TRAC, 2015-2016)
- TPC member IEEE Workshop on Network Measurements (WNM, 2013-2016)
- TPC member Passive and Active Measurement Conf. (PAM, 2015)
- TPC member IFIP/TC6 Networking (2011, 2013)
- TPC member Intl. Workshop on Measurement-based Experimental Research, Methodology and Tools (MERMAT, 2013)
- TPC member Intl. Conf. on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN, 2011)
- Guest editor Computer Communications Special Section on Selected papers from TMA 2015 (2016)
- Guest editor Computer Networks Special Issue on Machine learning, data mining and Big Data frameworks for network monitoring and troubleshooting (2016)
- FiberEmprenedors: Best entrepreneur of the Barcelona School of Informatics (together with Josep Sanjuàs). FIB Alumni, May 2015.
- VALORTEC: 2nd prize to the best business plan of Catalan technology-based start-ups. Generalitat de Catalunya, Feb. 2013.
I am currently teaching at the Barcelona School of Informatics (FIB):
- Operating Systems (SO)
- Computer Networks (XC)
- Applied Engineering Project (PAE)
- Future Internet Networks (FINE)
Previously I taught:
- Computer Structure I (FIB, 2005-2010)
- Introduction to Computers (EETAC, 2003-2005)
- Programming Lab. (EETAC, 2003-2004)
- Computing and Programming Techniques (EETAC, 2003-2004)
- Ismael Castell
- José Suárez-Varela
- Georgios Dimopoulos (graduated, 2017)
- Jakub Mikians (graduated, 2015) [pdf]
- Valentín Carela Español (graduated, 2014) [pdf]
- Tomasz Bujlow (co-advisor, graduated, 2014) [pdf]
- Ignasi Paredes Oliva (graduated, 2013) [pdf]
- Josep Sanjuàs Cuxart (graduated, 2012) [pdf]