Ignasi is currently a Data Scientist at eDreams ODIGEO, the world’s largest online travel company in the flight sector, where he works on analyzing fraud patterns in online bookings. He is also an external collaborator at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya BarcelonaTech (UPC), where he received his B.Sc, M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science in 2009 and 2013, respectively. His thesis focused on network traffic monitoring and, in particular, on addressing practical challenges for anomaly detection in operational environments. From 2007 to 2009, he worked in the Advanced Broadband Communications Research Center of UPC, where he was involved in the SMARTxAC project, a traffic monitoring platform that analyses all the traffic between the Catalan and the Spanish National Research and Educational Networks. He was a visiting researcher at DANTE (United Kingdom, 2009) and ETH (Switzerland, 2010), where he worked on the design and the development of a system for automatic anomaly detection and extraction that has been operationally used in the European backbone network of GÉANT for several months. During 2013 and 2014, he worked as a researcher and a data scientist at Barcelona Digital Technology Centre, where he used his background on Artifical Intelligence on several projects related with network security. You can contact him at iparedes AT ac.upc.edu.
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Pere Barlet-Ros and Xenofontas Dimitropoulos. FaRNet: Fast Recognition of High-Dimensional Patterns from Big Network Traffic Data. Computer Networks [Q2], vol. 57, no. 18, pp. 3897-3913, October 2013. [pdf] [bibtex] [doi] ©Elsevier
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva. Addressing Practical Challenges for Anomaly Detection in Backbone Networks. Ph.D. thesis, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya BarcelonaTech, July 2013. [pdf] [tdx] [bibtex]
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Pere Barlet-Ros and Xenofontas Dimitropoulos. FaRNet: Fast Recognition of High Multi-Dimensional Network Traffic Patterns. In Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS (poster), Pittsburgh, PA, USA, June 2013 and ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review (PER), vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 355-356, June 2013. [pdf] [bibtex] [doi]
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Pere Barlet-Ros and Josep Solé-Pareta. Scan Detection under Sampling: A New Perspective. IEEE Computer Magazine, Special Issue on Cybersecurity [Q1], vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 38-44, April 2013. [pdf] [bibtex] [doi] [slides] ©IEEE
- Maurizio Molina, Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Wayne Routly and Pere Barlet-Ros. Operational Experiences with Anomaly Detection in Backbone Networks. Computers & Security [Q2], vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 273-285, May 2012. [pdf] [bibtex] [doi] ©Elsevier
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Ismael Castell-Uroz, Pere Barlet-Ros, Xenofontas Dimitropoulos and Josep Solé-Pareta. Practical Anomaly Detection based on Classifying Frequent Traffic Patterns. In Proceedings of IEEE Global Internet Symposium (GI), Orlando, FL, USA, March 2012. [pdf] [bibtex] [doi][slides] ©IEEE
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Xenofontas Dimitropoulos, Maurizio Molina, Pere Barlet-Ros and Daniela Brauckhoff. Automating Root Cause Analysis of Network Anomalies using Frequent Itemset Mining. In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Conference (demo), New Delhi, India, August 2010 and ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review (CCR), vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 467-468, October 2010. [pdf] [bibtex] [doi]
- Maurizio Molina, Wayne Routly, Ignasi Paredes-Oliva and Ashish Jain. Anomaly Detection in Backbone Networks: Building a Security Service Upon an Innovative Tool. In Proceedings of Terena Networking Conference (TNC), Vilnius, Lithuania, May 2010. [pdf] [bibtex] [slides] [video]
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Pere Barlet-Ros and Maurizio Molina. Automatic Validation and Evidence Collection of Security Related Network Anomalies. In Proceedings of Passive and Active Measurement Conference (PAM) (poster), Zurich, Switzerland, April 2010. [pdf] [bibtex]
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Pere Barlet-Ros and Josep Solé-Pareta. Analysis of the Impact of Traffic Sampling on Portscan Detection. Technical Report UPC-DAC-RR-CBA-2009-14, November 2009. [pdf] [bibtex]
- Ignasi Paredes-Oliva, Pere Barlet-Ros and Josep Solé-Pareta. Portscan Detection with Sampled NetFlow. In Proceedings of International Workshop on Traffic Monitoring and Analysis (TMA), Aachen, Germany, May 2009 and Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 5537, pp. 26-33, 2009.[pdf] [bibtex] [doi] [slides] ©Springer-Verlag
List of publications available at DBLP and Google Scholar as well. Also, please note that in most accepted papers, the copyright has been transferred to the respective publisher and, therefore, these papers cannot be duplicated for commercial purposes. See ACM, IEEE and Elsevier copyright policies; other publishers have similar copyright regulations.